List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: KDE4, KMix and a public Mixer API (possibly freedesktop.org)
From:       Christian Esken <esken () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-09 19:45:25

Am Sonntag, 8. Oktober 2006 23:35 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> > ביום ראשון, 8 באוקטובר 2006, 21:40,  כתב על ידי Thiago \
> > Macieira:
> > >
> > > Detecting mixers would be nice, but I fail to see why we need this API
> > > as a D-Bus service, rather than something ALSA provides. I am probably
> > > missing something, as I am not familiar with multimedia architectures.

I will only do one example here. There is no notion of a user definable "Master" \
device in any soundcard driver (Alsa's Master is no Master, it is always "Front" \
only. This is very wrong if yu got Headphones, or 5.1, or digial out, or ...).

> > I don't think ALSA is working that good on Windows. Also in Solaris. And
> > what about Linux system with OSS and not ALSA...?

Precisely. Also you do NOT want to use alsa-lib if it can be avoided: It is fully \
undocument and very complicated to use properly if you want to cover all soundcards.

> > The generic way is D-Bus.
>
> I thought it was Phonon...

It is not. Phonon is not about accessing hardware at all. The audio stream hardware \
is managed by the backends (e.g. a NMM server), the mixer hardware is done by a Mixer \
Server (e.g. kmixd). Spoke to Matthias Kretz on K4M and aKademy2006 about that.

> Why do we need to abstract the Phonon abstraction layer?

We don't do.

 Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the Desktop? See http://www.kde.org