List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE/kdelibs/kio
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-09 20:54:19

On Monday 09 October 2006 20:04, Bram Schoenmakers wrote:
> Op maandag 09 oktober 2006 18:20, schreef David Faure:
> > SVN commit 593946 by dfaure:
> >
> > Refactored KFileItem to use QSharedDataPointer - which means that it's now
> > allowed to use KFileItem as a value, copying it is cheap, since it's now
> > implicitly shared. All the current code uses it as a pointer, which is
> > still fine of course, but using it as a value in the future can simplify
> > things like PreviewJob, which used to crash due to sometimes keeping a
> > pointer to a deleted kfileitem.
> > Refcounting KFileItems is what Waldo has been advocating for a very long
> > time btw, I'm glad to honor his wish after so many years :)
> > Michael, this is also something to keep in mind if/when rewriting
> > KDirLister.
>
> Could that have possibly fixed bugs 45938 and 126132?

This commit can't have fixed any bugs by itself, to be clear. As I said, the code that
-uses- KFileItem still needs to be ported to use them by value instead of by pointer.
This commit only makes it possible to do so.

What's more, I'm not even sure that those two bugs are about accessing deleted
fileitems, they could be the iconloader-related crash that has been hanging around
forever...