List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Popular Keyboard shortcuts (Was: RFC: KDE4,
From:       Christian Esken <esken () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-09 20:38:17

Am Montag, 9. Oktober 2006 10:43 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> On Sunday 08 October 2006 20:03, Christian Esken wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am currently working on a Mixer Service API for KDE4.
> > The API is targeted at mixer services (like kmixd), a Mixer (like kmix) \
> > and several MM apps. It can be used for changing volumes, retrieving \
> > volume changes, querying for mixers, detecting hot-plugged \
> > soundcards/mixers and some more services.
> > (for example I would like to add keyboard shortcut management, as \
> > currently 3-n applications fight e.g. for the XF86AudioRaiseVolume \
> > shortcut).
>
> To make sure that there will be yet one more application to fight for it? \
> The

OK, actually this is a generic issue. There are some very popular Keyboard \
shortcuts. Popular in the sense that many applications would like to hold \
this global shortcut: XF86AudioRaiseVolume
XF86AudioLowerVolume
XF86AudioMute
XF86AudioPlay
XF86AudioStop
XF86AudioNext
XF86AudioPrev

Problem 1) KKeydialog lets you assign a global shortcut that is already \
taken by another application (obviously it doesn't work, but the user won't \
get a warning). So the user assigns the "XF86AudioPlay" in his new shiny MM \
Application and curses that they don't work - first impression is ruined.

> mixer itself has the ability to handle shortcuts and it seems like the \
> right

Problem 2) And if a user runs the KMix PanelApplet instead of the Mixer?

> Of course, there are the stupid laptop multimedia keys that don't work \
> like  normal keys and need special handling, and there's KMilo which \
> instead of  doing the conversion tries to handle them in hackish ways, \
> but even then I

Problem 3) KMilo is also taking away regular keys like \
XF86AudioRaiseVolume.

So we see that we actually have an issue. It cannot be discussed away.
If there is no generic solution, I will do a special solution for KMix, \
MixerApllet and KMilo.

  Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the Desktop? See http://www.kde.org