List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-08 15:52:02

On Saturday 07 October 2006 19:42, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 07 October 2006 9:06, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > languages. For (a completely made up) example, I would oppose
> > having the clock applet for kicker written in Ruby/Python, but I
> > don't oppose
>
> why? have you looked at styleclock?

No, this was *really* an example I cam up from nowhere. But it seems I
hit the nail on the head. ;-)

> it is a c++ "shim" that loads kjs
> and renders clocks written in js.

I don't know, but I really doubt that kjs or anything can be as fast as
correctly written compiled code. The fact that the current C++ code for
the clock might be far from optimal, is another question.
Still we both talk into the air before doing actual measurements. Where
is this styleclock available (and what language it was written in, for
which KDE version)?

> i don't think it's too much to ask for kjs or qsa. they are both
> lightweight and at least kjs is already in use on your desktop if you
> use konqi.

Is KJS the same code that renders javascript inside pages? If yes, its
used, but only when web browsing certain pages. Sure, KDE user should
always have a Konqueror window open and they should use it as their
browser, so you have a point here. ;-)

> i do agree that it is good to keep the basic desktop as thin as
> possible. to prevent scope creep by the compiled language bigots, i'd
> suggest that a good definition of "basic desktop functionality" would
> be required to make this a useful metric. and that's not as easy as
> it might sound ;)

I know, but let's say what is in kdelibs and kdebase is the "basic
desktop functionality". I don't mind application or plugins (eg. in
kdeaddons) in any scripting language.

Andras