List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2006-10-07 10:03:17

Hi Dirk,

On Saturday 07 October 2006 04:34, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3. October 2006 20:30, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > If an application using one of KDE's bindings would be a nice addition to
> > KDE Edu, can the KDE Edu maintainer import it into kdeedu?
>
> Today: no.
>
> In the future: yes.

Thank you for this simple answer, that's all we were asking for.

It has been a question for KDE4 anyway, since the KDE3 main modules won't
accept new applications anyway and new additions would have to go into
extragear.

> The problem is that it would generate a dependency on  kdebindings3 or some
> other bindings (PyKDE for example), which kdeedu currently doesn't have. it
> would be a good idea to re-sort the inter-module dependencies so that this
> is sanely possible. (right now kdebindings depends on a lot of other
> modules.).

To some extend the problem is being together in one module since packagers of
a couple of well known distributions create an insanely huge package
including all of them instead of one package per language

> Actually,  the biggest discussion seemed to have evolved around "which
> language do we choose?" aka "does it have to be javascript?" - which
> apparently some people favor.

Unfortunately the discusssion missed the actual question and moved to this
completely different topic.
The question about language/binding will be answered by the developers
submitting applications.

> Anyhow, I would be more than happy about a KDE application written in java
> or C# as well (which don't that high runtime overhead like python apps
> have).

Until now our message has not been clear enough. We should explicitly state
somewhere that our acceptance policy allows applications in any binding in
playground, always in extragear and for KDE4 also in "non-base" main modules

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at>