List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules
From:       "Gary L. Greene Jr." <greeneg () phoenuxos ! com>
Date:       2006-10-03 16:34:31

On Sunday 01 October 2006 08:31, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Sunday 01 October 2006 13:00, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > I don't think it would be possible to reach a consensus on this one:
> > python <-> ruby <-> java <-> c# ...
>
> We want a script language, so Java and C# are out of consideration, the
> added value compared to C++ just isn't worth it. So it's between Python and
> Ruby (at least we all agree that Perl is a no-go :-) ).

Why? I've been writing perl-qt / perl-kde for a while now in KDE 3.5 and would
not card to have to move to another language when the time comes to move to
KDE 4. I know that the bindings for perl need work to get them working with
KDE 4, but that doesn't preclude it from building applications against for
the current 3.5 series atm.

> My own preference would be toward Ruby, but I think the safe choice would
> be Python, because of its "there's only one way to do it" syntax.

Personally, I think this idea of selecting an "official" application scripting
language is a bad idea, as that again raises the bar for new developers.