On Tuesday 03 October 2006 11:00 am, Guillaume Laurent wrote: > Stephen Leaf wrote: > > On Tuesday 03 October 2006 9:58 am, Guillaume Laurent wrote: > >> You should give Python and Ruby a spin. Python's syntax may be > >> off-putting (I thought the same initially) but when you actually try to > >> write something with it, it really doesn't get in the way. And even > >> though I much prefer Ruby (both syntax and features), Python's single > >> coding style is an advantage. > > > > I hardly see a single coding style as an advantage.. Unless of course > > that 1 coding style is your preferred coding style. > > Not when dealing with shared codebases. I can agree, if your sharing your code base and your not the one setting the coding style. I'd rather set the style, not the language. Personal preference. > > > I can see numerous problems with the indentation block idea python uses. > > Yes, so can plenty of people, yet somehow all these Python programmers > seem to cope just fine, and have been doing so for quite some time. So > perhaps these numerous problems aren't that big after all. I'd rather not "cope" with problems if I don't have to. > > > As for ruby, all of the examples I looked at made my head spin. I found I > > almost had to read every line backwards in order to figure out what it > > was trying to do. Those "simple" examples just made my head spin with the > > "Why?" and "could they have possibly made this any more complex?" > > half of them I couldn't even figure what they were doing even with the > > description of what it did. > > The only "strange" part of Ruby's syntax is the handling of closures : > obj.dosomething { |arg| fumble(arg) } . Yes I just found that in the tutorial I'm in... [1, 3, 5, 7, 9].find {|v| v*v > 30 } » 7 Can anyone explain to me How that is natural to read?? "It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write." -- http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ > It's actually pretty simple and > once you understand how to use it (takes about a minute following a good > tutorial), you really get hooked :-). (and both Python's and Perl's > equivalent are way uglier). I might agree more if I ever did a closure in perl. (might be I'm not sure what you mean by a closure?)