I find Leo's description of the possible outcomes very level-headed. I'd _love_ to see more applications in KDE proper written with scripting languages (and I tend to believe that the future will see C++ phase out from preference for application writers). But the central components of KDE as well as inter-application collab mechanisms (busses, dnd, resources etc.) should never depend on third party tools/libs (possibly missing in target environments). On 1 October 2006 11:47, Leo Savernik wrote: > The problem of allowing arbitrary (even if restricted to a small number) > scripting languages leads either to a fast KDE environment that is crippled > or a slow, memory eating, fully functional one. > > Therefore I suggest that no core component and core application that *is > needed to make KDE being perceived as fully functional* is written in any > scripting language except those shipped within KDE (kjsembed), and even > that one shouldn't be used too liberally. > > I absolutely don't care about external extensions that are not released > within the basic KDE distribution. They may depend on whatever scripting > language they like. > > > [...] > > mfg > Leo -- Cristian Tibirna KDE developer .. tibirna@kde.org .. http://www.kde.org