Igandea 01 Urria 2006 17:47(e)an, Leo Savernik(e)k idatzi zuen: > Am Sonntag, 1. Oktober 2006 13:07 schrieb Boudewijn Rempt: > > > For the latter case, there's no decision on official language, since > > > there doesn't have to be. Applications can be written using any > > > binding. But, as this thread has proven, the basic applications must be > > > in C++ so that memory consumption stays low. > > > > I haven't seen "proof", just some assertions, but aside from that, hadn't > > we better define a list of "the basic applications" then -- Leo's list is > > obviously much too large. If the list of basic applications for which C++ > > is required, then people who prefer a little more efficiency in their > > development process know what's left for them. > > My list is purportedly encompassing to prevent this: > - A writes support for new important formula for kspread in ruby > - B writes new important dialog for kspread in python > - C writes new important other functionality for kspread in fooblargh > - ... > (where "new important" means functionality already contained in excel whose > support is considered crucial to be perceived as a "full blown" app) This is how I see it: - A writes support for new important formula for kspread in ruby in a week - B,C,D see the formula is good, and is happy to see she can use it - E,F,G,H use the formula but it is slow, and complain - I decides that it is such an important feature and codes it in C++, after some months If there's no such a possibility we wouldn't have B,C,D,E,F,G,H using it. I guess it's better to have an important slow feature that lacking and important feature. And if it's important, I guess it'll be coded natively when it has shown its relevance. > Then we already have three script interpreters+runtimes+bindings hogging > memory and drowning performance. The user now has two choices: Doing > without scripting languages, leading to bug report "kspread doesn't support > 'foo'", or going through the hassle of setting up all the dependencies, > leading to bug report "kspread is ten times as slow as and incurs tenfold > memory usage compared to excel doing 'foo'". > > Another hypothetical example (not that far fetched) pretending krita needs > python and ruby binding to work: > - kword user doesn't have python and ruby installed. > - wants to paste image into kword > - krita flake refuses to load > => no images in kword documents. I don't think krita will need either python nor ruby for loading. > The problem of allowing arbitrary (even if restricted to a small number) > scripting languages leads either to a fast KDE environment that is crippled > or a slow, memory eating, fully functional one. > > Therefore I suggest that no core component and core application that *is > needed to make KDE being perceived as fully functional* is written in any > scripting language except those shipped within KDE (kjsembed), and even > that one shouldn't be used too liberally. > > I absolutely don't care about external extensions that are not released > within the basic KDE distribution. They may depend on whatever scripting > language they like. > > > [...] > > mfg > Leo -- Alfredo Beaumont Sainz http://www.alfredobeaumont.org/blog.cgi