[ Thiago Macieira ] > That test is laughable. Don't take it seriously any more than you take > seriously any kiddie's benchmarking. It does some very weird testing and > comes up with pretty inconsequential conclusions. String comparisons?! > Please... I mention it because it keeps being referred to in the FSG Accessibility workgroup as an obstacle for moving AT-SPI to D-Bus. Most FSGA members accept the test results as valid. The background is that IBM already started moving AT-SPI to D-Bus in the past and stopped it because they found their code to be slower than the existing CORBA/GNOME implementation (but they did not release their own performance tests AFAIK). I tried to add an explanation why the test are useless to the wiki page http://www.freestandards.org/en/AT-SPI_on_D-Bus > >* The main reason described in the analysis is the lack of caching for > > DCOP and D-Bus. Would it be possible to add it? > > Caching of what? Quote from the PDF file: 'From the above we can conclude that “dcopClient()->call” is the bottleneck. Delving into this a little it seems that each time this function is called, the service target function is “looked up” i.e. there is no caching of function id's/references.' And for D-Bus: 'Again, as is the case with DCOP here is a function lookup with no caching for subsequent calls.' > >* Is D-Bus using sockets for local communication to improve the speed, > > such as ORBit2 does? If not, would it make sense to change that? > > Yes, it's using sockets. What else would it be using? tcp. What is used for remote communication? > Now, libdbus-1 can use some optimisation in the marshalling code. My own > tests indicate it can be slow. But compared to the two task-switches > necessary to actually relay data to a remote process, that's negligible. Optimisation is important for assistive technologies. Whenever a screen reader queries the user interface a web browser, a huge amount of calls for deeply nested user widgets are made. If this causes too much latency, then the system appears unreactive to blind users. Olaf -- Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of http://accessibility.kde.org/ and http://www.amen-online.de/