List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: FEATURE: Forcing DPI setting for fonts
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-08-31 14:50:42

Am Donnerstag, 31. August 2006 15:31 schrieb Torsten Rahn:
> > This option forces a specific DPI value for fonts. It may be useful when
> > the real DPI of the hardware is not detected properly and it is also
> > often misused when poor quality fonts are used that do not look well with
> > DPI values other than 96 or 120 DPI.
>
> From looking at your patch it's looks like you're planning to add this to
> the generic fonts configuration page. Do we really need to clutter a
> supposedly easy to understand dialog with some rather obscure setting that
> is not meant to be used anyways? I'm not even sure whether this stuff
> belongs to fonts. Because usually you only deal with this if you set up the
> screen resolution, so it might make more sense to put it there (which MS
Where do you define your screen resolution? That's nothing to be defined, it's
autodefined by the geometry of your monitor and the resolution of your
display.
And talking about MS windows isn't helping either as Windows has a fixed
resolution that you can configure).

> Windows does as well btw). Please ask some usability person before you
> proceed.

You should define "usability person. As a matter of fact, the number of DPIs
is only interesting where you configure things as points, which only happens
at fonts - if you're not working in some very specific environment.

So people _do_ go into the fonts tab if their resolution (the number of DPI)
is wrong - because their fonts will appear larger or smaller than expected.
And that's exactly where it belongs - _not_ in some display geometry
configuration tool.

Greetings, Stephan