List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: 800x600 default (Re: [Patch] Add dmask/fmask support into media:/)
From:       Frans Englich <englich () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-08-26 12:31:02

On Saturday 26 August 2006 02:22, Gary L. Greene Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 25 August 2006 22:16, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > On Friday 25 August 2006 02:40, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > 800x600 with a 46px panel.
> >
> > I think we should review this for KDE 4.  800x600 is unrealistic these
> > days and doesn't reflect the reality of some of our dialogs.
>
> Most desktops (if not all) I see these days don't go smaller than 1024x768.

"Currently, about 60% of all monitors are set at 1024x768 pixels. In
comparison, only about 17% use 800x600 so it's obviously less important to
aim at perfection for these small-display users. What's equally obvious,
however, is that you can't simply ignore 17% of your customer segment by
providing a frozen layout that requires more screen space than they have
available."[1]

That some KDE developers can't properly design GUIs needs to be changed, not
accepted.

Anecdotal evidence from someone who walks around at the office at work and
peeks at his wife's PC is not of much interest. There's a world out there
where not everyone runs around with the latest cell, ipod, and a flat screen
display.

Cheers,

		Frans

1.