List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibs coding style
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2006-08-23 14:47:54

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 13:02, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 August 2006 12:38, Frerich Raabe wrote:

> > > And I'd like to mention that the xemacs setup we have been using for
> > > many years doesn't indent the case statement, therefore a lot of
> > > existing code does NOT indent the case.

> > > But the rule for case does match a lot of the existing code, you must
> > > be looking at different code than the one that was written by
> > > developers using xemacs...
> >
> > And I suppose simply saying "You're free to indent the statements in a
> > case branch of a switch if you want." is not acceptable by the coding
> > style police? I don't want to start a flame war but I never quite
> > understood why you have to define all such things to 100%, as long as
> > common sense stuff like "Don't write the body of an if statement on the
> > same line" or something like that is agreed on.
> >
> > I think if you have developers on a project who are more 'productive'
> > because it's easier for them to understand code which has tiny cosmetic
> > things like indented case statements, then you have bigger problems than
> > an inconsistent indentation style. :-}
>
> I completely agree. I think the specification of the little details is
> simply there so that people who *want* a styleguide to follow can get one.
> And for people programming the customization of the editors (I like when I
> can just use C-c C-q in xemacs to reindent the current method correctly;
> where the styleguide defines what 'correct' is).
>
> For existing code and future contributions, we shouldn't be too strict
> about those rules, as long as the main ones are respected (indentation).

 So we're going to have a guide that's pretty strict even about things like
placement of spaces but not actually require it? How about we then make a
list of really required things[*] and call the rest just "recommendations" or
whatever, because that's what it's going to be anyway? (Do I have to say that
I told you?)

[*]
- Indent by 4 spaces, no tabs
- Try to make it readable, use common sense, follow the style of the file
- Anything else?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer