List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4: Making xdg-utils future-proof
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-08-07 21:59:13

On Saturday 05 August 2006 11:41, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Saturday 5 August 2006 17:21, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > So personally I would find it better, if this tradition could be kept.
>
> I'll go for the saying "to make an omelet you need to break some eggs"
>
> In other words; we had this backwards compatibility for the whole of the 3
> series without it making sense and it makes even less sense in kde4. Lets
> fix it.

I would like to point out that this backwards compatibility does make sense
because it makes it easier for users to upgrade if less things get broken in
the process. It's a TCO thing.

So it's sort of clear what the downside of breaking compatibility is, but it
isn't really clear to me what is being "fixed" here.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Linux Client Architect - Channel Platform Solutions Group - Intel Corporation