List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KGlobalAccel issues
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2006-08-02 8:41:18

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 10:05, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 August 2006 02:38, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Hmmm ... since we have (we still do, don't we?) the kcontrol module
> > where one can select the layout scheme and all the global shortcuts are
> > forced to be written to the config file during KDE startup, what's
> > actually written in the source file should matter only for a) the
> > defaults and b) the case when somebody uses it outside of KDE without
> > ever changing the scheme or using KDE the desktop.
> >
> >  For both of these cases I think it should default to 3 modifiers -
> > people are used to them, not all keyboards have them, whatever. The
> > kcontrol module can even default to something else if somehow find out
> > which one would be the best. So unless you have a better idea, I'll make
> > the code use only the 3 modifiers shortcuts instead of 4 modifiers.
>
> Sure... are the 4 modifier versions going to be saved somewhere? (or are
> they already...)

 SVN history :) ? The kcontrol module should have them in the matching .kksrc
scheme file, but otherwise not. In fact even having 3 modifier shortcuts in
the source means duplication with the 3 modifiers .kksrc file there, but I
don't think we want to use that at runtime (maybe after KGlobalAccel is a
kded module).

> > > BTW, other my plan for KGlobalAccel is to move it out into a kded
> > > module which communicates with apps via dbus.  This will help with
> > > centralising configuration, be generally more efficient, and further
> > > eliminate the requirement for KApplication.
> >
> >  I wonder a bit if this won't cause some problems with X grabs (either
> > keyboard or global) - right now an app with such grab normally gets even
> > KGlobalAccel events, but this way it wouldn't. On the other hand I guess
> > it doesn't make really sense to use KGlobalAccel in such case. Anyway.
>
> Hmm, a valid point but I think when you do X grabs, you're presenting a
> _very_ modal window and are uninterested in allowing global accels to other
> apps, and I guess it would be a design flaw to intend for an action with a
> global accel to be enabled here.

 I meant allowing global accels to the very same app. I think Alt+Tab in KWin
long time ago even worked like that, although I might be wrong here (it
doesn't now). Nevertheless this is probably a moot point.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer