List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KSelectAction
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-30 14:28:21

Am Sonntag, 30. Juli 2006 12:29 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:

> And wrt to translation one should probably make more use of the "i18n
> with context" function. If we could standardize on usage of the
> context, e.g. "Menu View -> Use Fixed Font", and then make the
> translation tools so smart that they group all "Menu View" items
> together then the translator should be able to find good accels (with
> the help of a manager proposing accels of course). Alternatively, the
> translators could simply omit setting accels and leave it to the
> manager. I don't see why we shouldn't hardcode good accels for the
> English "translation" just because of other translations.

Oh, I'm all for using good accels. So whenever you see a situation where you
think the manager can't do a better job than the programmer, just hardcode
one. Then the translator will hardcode less too and give the manager more
room.

But the (german translation of the) Edit menu of the kmail composer I just
have open is a good example that you will never be able to find a perfect
match - managed or not. So let's hardcode the cases that are likely to be
used more often by users and give the rest to the manager (which could be
changed to warn again on conflicting hard codes by default for the moment).

Greetings, Stephan