List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibs coding style
From:       Benjamin Meyer <ben () meyerhome ! net>
Date:       2006-07-20 15:49:37

On Thursday 01 January 1970 1:00 am, Zack Rusin wrote:
> With much love from Russia comes temperature checker (prediction: it's
> hot! flaming hot!) in the form of a proposal for a common coding style
> in kdelibs.
>
> It's something we talked about during the KDE Four meeting. The reason
> for it is that it's a pain in a butt to read through kdelibs code.
> Indention differs within files which makes a lot of them unreadable
> (oh, and btw shoutouts to George and Lubos for having indention styles
> that make grown may cry and baby jesus swear). Since KDE uses this
> thing called Qt, which also happens to be a library, it was agreed that
> it makes natural sense to adopt the style used in Qt. Attached is a
> file which describes Qt coding style. The idea is that it would be
> adopted for kdelibs.
>
> To make it clear, no mass reindenting would take place.. For already
> existing code the indention would be changed when a person would be
> editting it. So if you fix a bug in already existing code, you simply
> indent your code with the standard indention. This way history won't be
> messed up and we'll end up with consistant style in all files by the
> time KDE4 is out. The style is obviously mandatory for all new files.
>
> No exceptions. Either everything or nothing.
>
> Well, the only exception are libraries that are not maintained in the
> KDE SVN (for example, if it ever happens, integrated KHTML/WebKit would
> be maintained outside KDE SVN and the coding style that applies to it
> is one chosen for this project - interestingly enough WebKit coding
> style is basically exactly like Qt coding style so that's not going to
> be an issue).
>
> Oh, and this is of course only for kdelibs, in your apps/modules you can
> still use the 2.3 tabs indention or whatever your sick mind desires.
>
> with not a whole lot love but a lot of perseverance
> your boy toy

Just to following up with some points that Aaron had made:

 - we are choosing a style out of pragmatism: to get some consistency in
kdelibs amongst those of us working on it
 - people are of course still free to do as they wish in applications
 - that it represents a compromise for many of us who have already expressed
our support for it in Trysil, so we understand and note that this is not "my
preference over yours"
 - that support for this was completely unanimous amongst all in attendance at
Trysil

-Benjamin Meyer

--
aka icefox