List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: New Prosal [was Re: policy change related to kdelibs snapshots]
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-13 6:54:20

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 21:28, Jaison Lee wrote:
> Please don't dismantle my wonderful useful KDE desktop just to
> maintain the least common denominator between operating systems.

oh, for me it's not about portability. the motive is to not have to maintain
our own code for this. realize that we have very few people working on libs
given the size and complexity of them.

additional considerations include:

 - minimizing the size of the libs a kde app pulls in; duplicated code doesn't
help.
 - in this particular case i'd like to avoid having to rewrite the class,
which it actually needs badly as it doesn't follow the xdg spec on linux/unix
(which ours currently doesn't; it predates it). trolltech has already done
the work, why should we spend our limited resources redoing that so we have
middle mouse clicks? that, my friends, is the definition of oddness.

the fact that ksystemtray isn't exactly portable is another consideration, but
as you can see hardly the biggest issue we deal with.

all over preserving middle mouse clicks. yeah, that certainly worth it. *sigh*

> Another strange attitude surfacing recently is the "let's push everything in
> the world down into Qt."

the flip side here is that trolltech put a lot of effort into qt4
(particularly 4.2) so that we can stop some (not all) of our duplication of
code because of one or two (often relatively minor) shortcomings in the qt
implementation. they are _trying_ to shoulder more of the load, it would be
nice if we could work towards that end with them.

as much as you find the "can we rely on Qt" attitude strange, i find the
nearly-NIH "it's in Qt, that's not kdelibs!" attitude strange ;)

in any case, i'll talk to our trolltacts (play on "trolltech contacts" ..
weee) about the possibility of a middle mouse button addition.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness