On Wednesday 12 July 2006 14:57, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote: > Am Mittwoch, 12. Juli 2006 15:20, schrieb Thomas Zander: > > On Wednesday 12 July 2006 04:33, Gary Cramblitt wrote: > > > 2. Sender Names. If you need to know a message's sender, this is > > > presently rather painful, requiring hand-coding of adaptors. Knowing > > > who you are talking to is fundamental. > > > > Actually; I implemented various similar frameworks; including one > > grid-computing solution, and I never ever had the need to find the name > > of the service connecting to me. > > This is only needed when encrypting a connection and that implies a > > handshake which will do something like this anyway. > > What about restrictions? A service might want to control whom and how it > serves. > > I heard that a desktop dbus session is limited to a user id (euid or uid?), > so one would think that a user should be able to do everything the > operating system allows him. But doesn't interprocess communication bypass > systems like SELinux/AppArmor? So an access control system might have to be > implemented within the services? At least I recall some emails by SELinux > developers on KDE lists, who reported about their problems with kioslaves > running out-of-process. (Well, could perhaps be implemented in the bus > itself...) > > Or imagine something like KNotify (or its successor) being implemented like > a dbus service. The client would just signal the event and the service > would, dependant on it's setting for the caller, create the appropriate > notification. KAlarm and kalarmd need to interact via D-Bus. If some other application made certain D-Bus calls, alarms could be lost. So it seems a sensible precaution to check the sender (just as was done in KDE 3 using DCOP). -- David Jarvie. KAlarm author and maintainer. http://www.astrojar.org.uk/linux/kalarm.html