List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: renaming kde-config to kde4-config
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-26 21:53:07

Le lundi 26 juin 2006 23:22, David Faure a écrit :

> I'm fine with renaming it. But "in order to be able to install it in the
> same dir as the KDE3 one" makes no sense. kde3 and kde4 need different
> installation directories ("prefixes") otherwise everything is going to
> clash. From kio_uiserver to konqueror to kmail, etc.

Installing the whole kde3 and kde4 in the same directory make no sens ineed.

anyway, it make sens to install in the same directory  (say /usr) :
 - The whole KDE4
 - kdelibs3, and all KDE3 runtime dependencies.
 - Some kde3 apps that have not been ported yet.

Unfortunatelly, lots of runtime dependence will clash between kde3 and kde4.

First solution: Make the them compatible (at run time).  This is not really
possible since we don't use dcop anymore

Second solution: rename things that clash.  But this is ugly.

Third "solution": Ignore the problem, and force users/ditributors to put kde4
in a different prefix

> The point with renaming kde-config and kdeinit is that this makes it
> possible to have kde3 and kde4 installed, in different prefixes, but both
> prefixes being in the PATH. By renaming those binaries we will ensure that
> kde4 build systems will pick up the kde4 setup, and that kde4 programs will
> start a kde4 environment if needed at runtime.

We also need to rename the kbuildsycoca cache, in order to be able to run both
kde3 and kde4 application.
There will maybe be some problem with some global config files, is the same
$KDEHOME is used.