List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: [kde-artists] Where to install (new) HiColor icons]
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-05-31 18:16:30

Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 11:46:57AM +0200, David Faure wrote:
>> On Sunday 14 May 2006 21:05, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>>> r538403 | jriddell | 2006-05-07 13:05:44 -0700 (Sun, 07 May 2006)
>>>  | 6 lines Remove hicolour icons. KDE does not ship hicolour
>>> icons, they are for third part applications.
>> Honestly I am confused by the whole icon theme situation. But
>> deleting someone else's work (without discussion? although I guess
>>  there was discussion?) is never a good thing. Jonathan, we need to
>>  find a consenssus on this issue before doing more ping-pong
>> commits.
>
> It has been discussed to death on kde-artists.
>
>> "Jonathan said KDE will NOT support the HiColor icon theme" seems
>> to be simple escalation of the issue;
>
> I said we don't ship hicolour icons, not that we don't support it.
> Hicolour is the fallback icon space and is used by third party
> applications so that their icons will always be found no matter what
> icon theme is selected by the desktop environment or user.

Which is why we need HiColor icons so that if you select an icon theme
which doesn't have the needed icon that the icon loader will fall back
to HiColor.

> (e.g. KOffice should really ship with its icons in hicolour incase
> KDE changes from crystalsvg to a different theme,

No, if they are CrystalSVG icon, they should be installed as CrystalSVG.
  However, I do agree that they will should also ship HiColor icons.

> although in practice this isn't a problem since KDE will change icon
>  theme during the change to KDE 4 so you can't install old KOffice
> with new KDE).
>
>> if the icontheme is called kdeclassic but is loadable by gnome as
>> "hicolor" that's good too, right?
>
> You can't choose your icon theme to be hicolour in Gnome.

Last time I had GNOME running, it was possible.  I am now upgrading and
I am having binary incompatibility issues so I don't have a running
GNOME desktop.

> hicolour is a space for third party icons not an icon theme itself.

Doesn't this just beg the question.

>> Antonio, you're the expert with the icon loader. Can you tell us
>> how the "classic-looking" icons installed by kde should be called,
>>  so that gnome can use them?
>
> KDE programmes run under gnome will still use the same icon theme as
> when run under KDE,

But, this is just due to a bug that needs to be fixed and which I
presume that XDG will address.

> by default they'll use crystalsvg, or you can install kdeclassic and
> set it to use that if you wan classic looking icons.

And if you are missing icons in KDEClassic, you will get CrystalSVG
because the HiColor icons are missing.

>> In any case it sounds like something we can easily straighten out
>> for kde4, where compatibility is a lesser concern. We can call
>> hicolor hicolor, and get rid of kdeclassic - if that's what makes
>> interoperability with other environments easier.
>
> That would go against the icons spec, cause numberous clashes of
> files and not help anything in any way.

Would you please explain that in detail.  Specifically, how does
installing generic icons or (KDEClassic icons [or derivative icons]
which are sufficiently generic to qualify as HiColor) as HiColor go
against the spec?  Which files will Clash?  Why doesn't providing
missing and new icons help?

> If you're a fan of the kdeclassic theme just install that and feel
> free to make new icons to fill in the gaps it has.

I am not a fan of KDEClassic, I run my own icon theme some of which is
available at:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=27410

However, I do note that _some_ of the icons in KDEClassic *are* generic
and could be installed as HiColor.

This is not in any way about KDEClassic.  It is about what I am NOT a
fan of.  What I want to prevent is that when using any icon theme other
than CrystalSVG and an icon is missing, the fall back is to CrystalSVG,
or the "unknown" icon is used.  Not only do I not like this, but it is
considered to be a bug and has been reported as such.

--
JRT