List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: D-BUS required changes in KDE 4
From:       Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker () freenet ! de>
Date:       2006-05-29 15:58:29

["Nachricht als Anhang" (message/rfc822)]

To: cygwin@cygwin.com
From: Torfinn Ottesen <Torfinn.Ottesen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: "fork problem" debugging
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 15:40:54 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com

Peter Ekberg <peda <at> lysator.liu.se> writes:

> On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 10:40:34PM +0000, Torfinn Ottesen wrote:
> > <heavily snipped content>
> <snipping some more>
>
> > I did this for three programs, prog1 (commercial, external),
> > prog2 (inhouse, compiled on Cygwin) and native cygwin prog3:
> > "echo". I claim that I saw increased increase memory usage
> > for prog1 and prog2 - but not for the "echo" program.
>
> Did you really fork for echo, or did you use a shell builtin by mistake?
>
> /bin/echo is your friend...
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Hm -
$ which echo # give me: /usr/bin/echo     whereas
$ type echo  # tells that it is a builtin

... thanks for the question, I am now sure that that it was
the builtin by mistake. I repeated this right now with an
interesting result:

-------

for i in $(seq 1000)
do
    /usr/bin/echo $i
done

Finding, reading off total commit charge in "Task Manager"
- prior to execting loop three times: 357 400 kb
- after 3 loops (3000 forks)        : 370 550 kb
After 3000 forks of /usr/bin/echo - about 13.2 MB memory increase.
The value appears to be reasonable constant while writing this.
-------------------
Exiting from my xterm, result : down to about 360 800 kb
Exiting from Cygwin/X wmanager: down to about 342 600 kb
---------------
Starting Cygwin/X with one xterm similar to situation prior to loop:
up to 367 400 kb. About 10 MB more than before looping it three times,
have lost about 10 MB somewhere.
-----
Shutting down Cygwin/X, down to 343 100 kb, starting again,
up to: 367 900 kb. (about the same as above)
------
Does 3000 forks,               up to      : 380 400 kb
Shutting down Cygwin/X and up again, up to: 380 800 kb.
----
Well, it is repeatable here - memory is lost for each fork. The situation
(lost memory) appears to be unaffected by shutting down and restarting
Cygwin/X (doing this by X-ing).
--------

Because of similarity with previous incidences I believe now that
even this little "/usr/bin/echo" loop can bring down my PC if
running long enough.

----
It would be interesting to see if someone else can reproduce
this - I'll ask my collegue to try this one tomorrow.

Regards
Torfinn Ottesen
(Cygwin on MS Win XP Pro Service Pack 1)

PS:
For what it is worth, I have a slightly modified Cygwin/X:
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat
%RUN% XWin -clipboard -silent-dup-error
%RUN% xterm -bg FloralWhite -sb -rightbar -e /usr/bin/bash -l
%RUN% wmaker