List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: D-BUS required changes in KDE 4
From:       Stefan Teleman <steleman () nyc ! rr ! com>
Date:       2006-05-26 23:27:35

On Friday 26 May 2006 12:02, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 26 May 2006 17:45, İsmail Dönmez wrote:
> > Thiago Macieira wrote On 26-05-2006 18:37:

> > > That does answer the question, though: is it a feature we
> > > should push for in D-BUS or should we simply mandate that the
> > > daemon be running in all circumstances?
> >
> > The latter, distros should take care of that in init scripts.
>
> Which distro are we talking about, when thinking about Solaris, Mac
> OS X and Windows, for example? This isn't about Linux only; we need
> a dbus server everywhere. Isn't the best way to ensure that we get
> one, to start one when needed? Of course on linux we can expect
> that distros will launch a dbus server before kde, but a fallback
> solution is very much necessary for all the other cases.

Dudes,

what about the portmapper ? there's already at least one shining
example of the reliability of using the portmapper and inetd  -- with
FAM (yes, i know, Linux has moved on to bigger and better things and
doesn't use FAM any more).

the <insert-your-favorite-service-here>/portmapper/inetd combo is 100%
reliable. AFAIK even Windoze supports RPC and some thingy similar to
the portmapper. alternatively, the DBUS daemon could be started/run
in Windoze as a service.

in Solaris 10 and later DBUS can be started from SMF (Service
Management Facility). SMF doesn't exist in Solaris versions prior to
10, these will have to fallback to inetd (the conversion from
inetd/portmapper to SMF for Solaris 10 is trivial and does not
require any SMF specific code).

--Stefan

steleman@nyc.rr.com                          -Monty Python