David Faure wrote On 26-05-2006 19:02: [...] >>> That does answer the question, though: is it a feature we should push for >>> in D-BUS or should we simply mandate that the daemon be running in all >>> circumstances? >> The latter, distros should take care of that in init scripts. > > Which distro are we talking about, when thinking about Solaris, Mac OS X and Windows, > for example? This isn't about Linux only; we need a dbus server everywhere. > Isn't the best way to ensure that we get one, to start one when needed? > Of course on linux we can expect that distros will launch a dbus server before kde, > but a fallback solution is very much necessary for all the other cases. > Windows can do services so do MacOSX I think and so do any sane operating system. But it can't hurt to be double sure, though seems unnecessary to me. /ismail