List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: core/ui separation
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-19 19:23:08

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 09:02:24PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> In order to unblock application A, you need to realize that
> application B is blocked already, maybe on another desktop....

yes, this sucks. it is generally a bad idea, as it makes operating one
app depend on operating another one first. imagine you get a
notification that something is wrong, want to fix it first before
clicking retry, but can't do so because your desktop is virtually locked
down. or think one app going haywire and popping up a dialog again as
soon as you close it ...

> I think CopyJob is fine with its two modes (interactive and
> non-interactive), it just has to live in a library that can link to
> QtGui.

that's just picking on a special case. there sure *will* be more cases,
and then we end up with half of the higher level functions depending on
the ui again.

i don't see a reason why the ui-server should not fork off an instance
for each client, creating a 1:1 relation. think ideas, not current
implementation.