List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Concluding the discussion about splitting kdebase
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2006-05-18 21:31:56

Le Vendredi 12 Mai 2006 18:28, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> in fact, once i have more code in svn i will be moving to suggest the
> removal of ~/Desktop completely along with justifications. so as i alluded,
> this may become a completely moot point.

I'm not against.
After some thinkings, alot of people will benefits from that because the
desktop is just a temporar place for new or temporary stuff, and they don't
access it from the file manager.

But today I saved a mail attachment from KMail to the desktop, because I
needed it temporarily.
Right click -> "Save as..." -> "Desktop" shortcut

How about that use case in KDE 4?

Forced to drag and drop the file from KMail to the desktop?
Not very obvious.

Or will it be Windows-like, where it is visually made the root of the user
filesystem, with "Personnal Folder" (a.k.a. Home) and other devices inside
the desktop, and the rest of the filesystem hidden from users?