On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 02:27:15PM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote: > David Faure wrote: > >> For the sake of the argument, let me propose a complete radical > >> approach: > >> > >> a) Move kdebase-corepps to kdelibs > > > >This makes kdelibs huge. I often wish it was smaller, not bigger ;) > > Only if you don't take step (b) and move the non-central libraries out of > kdelibs. Besides, aren't all of those apps small ones? The largest in > your list was khelpcenter, I think. Yes. > >I think dnssd is supposed to be part of kio -> can't move out > > I don't see why. kio_zeroconf is in kdenetwork. Service discovery has > nothing to do with KIO. Service publishing is even more restricted, since > it makes sense for only a few apps. OK, I'll take your word for that one. > >kwallet is used by khtml and kio (kpasswdserver) -> can't move out > >kspell2/sonnet is needed by KTextEdit and khtml -> can't move out > >kutils currently has find/replace stuff, used by khtml -> can't move > > out. (we could merge thart part of kutils into kdeui once kio and > > kparts are there too, anyway ;) > > KHTML is a big question mark on where it should be. Being strict in the > definition, it isn't a core library, so it would be moved out to > kdeapplibs. Which, in turn, makes kdebase depend on kdeapplibs. KHelpcenter uses KHTML! If khelpcenter moves to kdelibs, khtml stays in kdelibs. > >knewstuff was the good example - it's not used inside kdelibs itself > > AFAIK. But the knewstuff developers will tell you that all KDE apps > > should use it, so there isn't any point in moving it to "kdeapplibs" or > > whatever; > > Like downloading new skins for kcalc? New bugs report templates for > KBugBuster? Sure :-) OK those were small apps, but still, many apps have themes or templates or sounds or downloadable stuff. > I'm trying to draw the line between libraries used by few or many > applications and libraries used by all or almost all applications. Right. > The central question here, I think, is: should we have to force users to > have a KDE Control Center even if they just want to run Kate or Konqueror > in TWM? Honestly I don't see a big problem with that, other than the inconsistent integration you point out below. If I want to set the language or widget style of my kde apps in TWM or Windows or Mac OS X, I launch the KDE control center. Simple solution. > In the list I posted, there were many KDE-wide settings. If you run only > KDE applications, they are global settings. But if you don't, you get > inconsistencies. > > Example: you can change in KDE what the shortcuts for Undo, Cut, Copy, > Paste are, in all applications. Sorry, in all KDE applications: > OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Gimp, etc., aren't changed. So you end up with > an inconsistent environment, where Ctrl+C copies in some programs but not > in all, and your change doesn't apply to all the programs you use. > > Unfortunately, there's no around it: if we allow users to customise > certain things, it will always only apply to KDE applications. The > alternative would be to disallow customisation if we can't make others > comply (lowest common denominator). > > But I digress... Yes, that's the way things work right now; I'm for solving one problem at a time, and reorganizing kdebase means moving the existing code, not changing the way things work :) -- David Faure faure@kde.org