List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: New module "kdecore"
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-04-19 9:39:50

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 10:41, David Faure wrote:

> I think this request is really about splitting kdebase into one more
> subdir: - workspace (main X11 desktop apps like kicker and kdesktop etc.)
> not needed to run KDE apps under TWM, but needed to run a full KDE desktop
> on X11. - coreapps: apps needed at runtime by other apps
>  - apps: other apps, needed by users but not by other apps
>
> coreapps would contain
>  - drkonqi
>  - kioslaves (I know they're not really apps, but let's not name the
> directory "core") - kdesu
>  - kdebugdialog? maybe this one belongs in kdesdk?
>  - kreadconfig, kdialog, kstart (all potentially needed by scripts)
>  - khelpcenter
>  - kcontrol? or only kcmshell?

What about l10n and kdeprint?

> At packaging time it should be rather easy to split kdebase into three
> packages especially if we keep all the configuration stuff modular - i.e.
> with nothing in kdebase/ itself, other than a CMakeListst.txt with three
> add_subdirectory calls.
> This should also make it easy to developers to only update & recompile
> kdebase/coreapps without needing to care about workspace and apps. But at
> the same time, it prevents module multiplication. Modular modules (hehe)
> are much easier to handle than hundreds of modules (and people wondering
> why they can't find app xyz anymore...)

By creating submodules we would add a level of complexity we currently don't
have. Will this really be easier to handle than creating a couple of new
modules (we aren't really talking about hundreds of them after all)?

At the moment I can tell developers, that they need to check out kdelibs to
compile applications and in addition kdebase to run them. Will it be easier
if I have to tell them, they need kdebase/coreapps, but not kdebase/apps and
kdebase/workspace?