On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:58:38AM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote: > David Faure wrote: > >I think this request is really about splitting kdebase into one more > > subdir: > > - workspace (main X11 desktop apps like kicker and kdesktop > > etc.) not needed to run KDE apps under TWM, but needed to run a full > > KDE desktop on X11. > > - coreapps: apps needed at runtime by other apps > > > - apps: other apps, needed by users but not by other apps > > How about moving these out of kdebase? And where? I don't see the point; as I said it's only confusion. > Also, where is Konqueror? I would consider it part of Workspace, because > no environment is full without a file manager. On the other hand, even if > I were in TWM, I'd like to use Konqueror... Konqueror is -definitely- not part of workspace. Workspace == "X11 only". The logic is not "kde is not full without xyz"; that's the logic for kdebase itself, and that's why I don't think we should "move those apps out of kdebase". > >coreapps would contain > > - drkonqi > > drkonqi is almost kdelibs... That's the point. Everything that I listed in coreapps is "the stuff that is needed alongside kdelibs although it's not libs". The runtime dependencies of kde apps, as opposed to compile-time dependencies. > > - kioslaves (I know they're not really apps, but let's not name the > > directory "core") > > - kdesu > > - kdebugdialog? maybe this one belongs in kdesdk? > > Yes. Applications don't need to run kdebugdialog. Normal users will never > know about it either. Yes; OTOH telling a user "install all of kdesdk just to tell me the debug output from area 1245" seems a bit overkill (and might raise the bar for meaningful debug output logs). > > - kreadconfig, kdialog, kstart (all potentially needed by scripts) > > - khelpcenter > > - kcontrol? or only kcmshell? > > kcmshell, probably, with kcontrol being part of workspace. I think that running kcontrol makes sense in gnome, windows, and Mac OSX as well. So IMHO it belongs to apps. > >At packaging time it should be rather easy to split kdebase into three > > packages especially if we keep all the configuration stuff modular - > > i.e. with nothing in kdebase/ itself, other than a CMakeListst.txt with > > three add_subdirectory calls. This should also make it easy to > > developers to only update & recompile kdebase/coreapps without needing > > to care about workspace and apps. But at the same time, it prevents > > module multiplication. Modular modules (hehe) are much easier to handle > > than hundreds of modules (and people wondering why they can't find app > > xyz anymore...) > > Distributions already split KDE... Not all of them, and we don't make it easy for them at all; they have to compile everything N times, or to split out the result of the one big compilation. Instead we should make it easy to actually split at the source level; we could provide kdebase-workspace.tar.gz, kdebase-coreapps.tar.gz (or just kdebase-core.tar.gz?) and kdebase-apps.tar.gz. My suggestion makes it easy to do so, that's one of the advantages of rewriting the build system: we can make things modular; more than before. -- David Faure faure@kde.org