List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 4 Core Libraries major features
From:       Matthias Kretz <kretz () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-04-03 9:54:14

On Thursday 30 March 2006 20:17, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> - Phonon
>
> For each one of those above, I'd like to know:
> 0) is it really a needed feature for the KDE 4 Core Libraries?

I think so.

> 1) who could we list as the main contact (someone to update us on the
> progress, etc.)?

That's me.

> 2) how far along is it?

The frontend API is progressing nicely. I'd say you can start using it in your
project already. There's still a lot of work to be done for the frontend,
though.
The Backend development is in its beginning stages.

> 3) how long should it take to complete?

I need at least 3 more months to complete the must-haves. I have a real bad
overview how long backend development will take.

> 4) what other features not currently done it depends on?

DBUS integration, seeking in KIO (well, no dependency, but it would make using
KIO in Phonon so much nicer)

> If there is something more, feel free to add them to the list. These are
> the features that will need to be present in the Core Libraries for a
> future kdelibs Technical Preview release sometime later this year.

Here's my personal wishlist for features and cleanups with KDE4:

I'd really like to see a seekable KIO on the list.

Also I was unable to follow the development of KJanusWidget + KDialog. The
last time I worked with that (around 3.2 or 3.3) I wanted to redesign the
whole thing. I'd do it for KDE4, but Phonon takes priority.

And then there is the KSettings stuff in kutils that can be cleaned up a lot
after KJanusWidget is cleaned up. (And it's in need of a usability review and
subsequent implementation of a different component selection widget/method.)

If somebody is interested in that, I can dig up what problems I had and ideas
on how to fix 'em.

--
C'ya
        Matthias