On Wednesday 29 March 2006 20:35, Scott Wheeler wrote: > Here's one that will no doubt be at least semi-controversial, but for me I > believe solves a significant issue for first impressions in KDE. > > The right menu button on the desktop is slow. Really slow. In my > profiling here (on a fast machine) it took between 250 - 750 ms to pop up. > Waiting 3/4 of a second for a RMB menu on a text file just seems silly. > > The same issue applies in Konqueror and if this is accepted I'll probably > address it there too. > > The basics of what this does are: > > - Use a QCache to store up to 50 menus in memory > - Create the menu as soon as the user is over the item with the mouse > - When the RMB is pressed, check the cache first for the menu > > Of course in some cases, if the user very quickly uses the RMB button on an > item that they've never hovered over before there can still be a delay, but > in practice there's usually a short delay before the right mouse button is > pressed and in the course of a desktop session most of the time menus are > reused (i.e. trash, home, etc.) > > This makes the desktop feel much more responsive in general, and I'd like > permission to commit it to 3.5. What do you think the slowness is from? If there is XMLGUI involved here, I suspect the XML parsing for sure. -- George Staikos KDE Developer http://www.kde.org/ Staikos Computing Services Inc. http://www.staikos.net/