List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kde3support
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-02-12 16:12:00

Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>Thiago Macieira said the following, On 2006-02-12 15:11:
>> Laurent Montel wrote:
>>>(I know that we will keep dcop compatibility kde3 <-> kde4, so it's
>>> not a problem)
>>
>> We will not. KDE3 applications will not talk to KDE4 applications nor
>> vice-versa.
>>
>> At most, we'll provide a gateway for a few well-known calls. The only
>> one that I can remember is "turn the screensaver off".
>
>Oh, I am quite surprised. I'd be even more surprised if I was distro
> author. Any docs available describing rationale behind this? I am
> sorry, I didn't follow this particulal topic.
>Why to kill compatibility (and predictability) after all these "let's
> make DCOP a selling point for KDE" talks?

It's almost certain that we're switching to D-Bus. DCOP and D-Bus are
incompatible protocols and the effort necessary to bridge them is much
greater than the benefits.

Please understand: this means KDE3 and KDE4 applications will not talk to
each other. It does not mean that either system will stop working or that
we won't have IPC.

If you find that it is a problem, please give me reasons why a KDE3
application should talk to a KDE4 application or vice-versa. So far, the
only two cases I can think of are: turning the screensaver on/off and
turning the mediamanager on/off (k3b does that, with bad results).

Also bear in mind that DCOP was not designed to be used and abused the way
it is now. Some interfaces need changing and application authors want to
break compatibility at some point. KDE4 is the perfect time for that.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.