List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2006-01-26 10:02:15

Jaison Lee wrote:
> I think it's just a target audience problem. I've found that most *nix
> coders simply don't like to use IDEs, no matter how good the IDE may
> be.
Depends on what you're working on. If it's C or some scripting language,
a simple text editor will do. But try dealing with a large Java code
base without something like Eclipse or Intellij Idea, you'll very
quickly change your mind.

> On the other hand, I've found that people who code for Windows simply
> love the hell out of their IDEs, so I think that a KDE4 KDevelop
> running on Windows will generate a *LOT* of enthusiasm.
It's too late for that I'm afraid, Eclipse has already taken the lion's
share in that market. Visual Studio remains for C# development, but
honestly kdevelop hardly stands a chance against these.

> If I were the KDevelop team I
> would put all my resources into getting it to run as well as possible
> under Windows

That would be an utter waste of time IMHO.