List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2006-01-26 7:55:41

On Thursday 26 January 2006 00:40, Alexander Dymo wrote:

> I've been watching at core KDE developers for three years. They still use
> vi (emacs). Why? Looks like KDevelop doesn't have clear benefits as
> a development tool for them. This is, of course my opinion and I'd really
> like to hear from KDE developers what they think is wrong in KDevelop.

I'm not really a core KDE developer, but I spend about forty hours a week
coding on Krita and KOffice, and I use KDevelop -- but only small parts of
it.

I don't compile from kdevelop, can't get used to it, I don use documentation
from kdevelop, I don't use the automake manager: I don't use all the things
on the left or right-hand fringe and it irritates me that I cannot disable
them. I don't debug from kdevelop -- never got it to work. I use qt: and kde:
from the minicli for documentation.

In fact I use kdevelop over and above XEmacs (my previous favourite) for just
a few reasons:

* I can have the menubar on top of the screen instead of in the window itself.
* quick-open is handier than opening files in XEmacs
* autocomplete, broken and incomplete as it is is still handy (although I
  wish it wouldn't try to autocomplete every word in a comment with all of the
  symbols it knows)
* searching in multiple files works nicely
* indentation while typing works just as well as in XEmacs
* it supports unicode, which has become vital now that there are files
  created by Gábor Lehel in Krita.
* I can remember the shortcut to switch between header and implementation,
  which I never succeeded to do in XEmacs.

And I still use XEmacs to correct the indentation of an entire file, because
kdevelop can't do that, and I still use vi when I need to make a quick edit.
KDevelop takes so long to start that I only use it when I know I've got most
of the evening for coding. I sometimes miss the simple word completion of
XEmacs. I definitely miss being able to split the window, to the extent that I
often have a konsole with vi alongside kdevelop.

But I'm a very simple-minded user. I never take the time to thoroughly learn
anything: as soon as I can do what I want to do I stop investigating. Which
means that I use kdevelop as an editor with a bit of code completion and
the shell to compile, just like I did when I was an XEmacs, a vi, a Nedit or a
Jed user.

Oh, and I use kdevelop only for C++. Python is better handled by XEmacs and
Java by Eclipse.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi