List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4
From:       Zack Rusin <zack () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-01-26 0:08:01

On Thursday 26 January 2006 00:40, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> But in fact we paid too much attention to the architecture and
> platform and little attention to the "usability" (usability as in
> usable for development tasks, not usability as good GUI).
> I've been watching at core KDE developers for three years. They still
> use vi (emacs). Why? Looks like KDevelop doesn't have clear benefits
> as a development tool for them. This is, of course my opinion and I'd
> really like to hear from KDE developers what they think is wrong in
> KDevelop.

Short of what David just point out. I've been talking to Simon who's an
avid vi user (with me being of course emacs fan) why we don't use
KDevelop and one thing that we were both coming back to is: no mouse
usage. Especially for file selection. In emacs I do C-x C-b or C-x C-f
and bam i have a new file open I never move my hands from the keyboard.
I don't tabify through billion of widgets. Quickopen is getting there
but not near enough.
Menus in IDE are really for people who just started coding because if
you're hacking for a few hours moving your hand to the mouse every few
minutes is just incredibly irritating and when I always shake my hand
when I see people doing that in ide's all the time. Once you start
working absolutely without a mouse you just can't go back. It's so much
more convenient and less tiring.

So yeah, when i'm working in konsole, I open my emacs, it opens pretty
quickly and once it's open i never move my hands from the keyboard.
That's just extremely convenient and I think that's /one/ of the main
reasons why people still use emacs/vi. Workflow using those editors is
very different.

Zack

--
God is REAL, unless explicitly declared INTEGER.