List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KHTML, KJS Unfrozen -- details
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-01-10 21:47:31

KHTML and KJS (including kpac) have been merged into trunk, and are now
unfrozen.  This completes what might be the largest safari "merge" ever.  KDE
now uses a KJS that was nearly 100% in sync with JavaScriptCore when we
pulled it from Apple's CVS.  It took a long time to complete the merge and
many changes have happened in Apple's repository since then.  We will do a
second merge, hopefully this month, to bring us closer to 100%
synchronization.  We are meanwhile merging patches back into their repository
as well.  I have commit access to Apple's repository and will be able to help
facilitate such work.

Please remember, going forward, that any changes to our KJS need to be
considered for submission to Apple's repository.  We want to get our KJS 100%
in sync.

Will there be regressions on our side?  Quite likely.  We already know that
the KJS CPU guard and debugger are no longer functional.  I'm confident that
we can repair these regressions quickly and easily.  The sharing of a common
KJS is very much worth it - and it brings us closer to sharing at least
portions of KHTML.

There is an issue of binary compatibility, and discussions with the developers
and users of KJS seem to come to a common conclusion, so far, that KJS will
become a sort of private library, and that KJSEmbed will be the public
interface going forward.  We want and need to be able to make improvements to
KJS for the browser (and now, portability), and it's not worth limiting
ourselves for the very few applications out there using KJS.  I know this
situation well as one of my apps is one of the biggest users of it.

I hope to provide an update again within a month as more developments unfold.

And finally, a big thanks should go to Maksim for doing the lionshare of the
porting work in khtml/ecma, especially after I just hacked it up with abort()
everywhere. :-)

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/