List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] KDialog::centerOnScreen()
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2005-12-28 10:03:52

Aaron J. Seigo said the following, On 2005-12-27 19:25:
> On Tuesday 27 December 2005 04:45, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
>
>>Since KDE Kicker (and win32's "kicker") is "always on top", it could be
>>better for centered dialogs to use availableGeometry() instead of
>>screenGeometry(), to avoid covering them by Kicker (at least sometimes).
>

> it will look visually odd to have a dialog "centered" on the screen using
> anything but the physical extent of the whole screen geometry.

s/will/may/

The idea I am writing at all is that for typical settings current centering
strategy was odd. Encountered linux, win32. I can see macosx is affected too.

 > what ought to
> be done is to ensure that the calculation made based on screen geometry
> doesn't cause overlap due to a smaller available geometry. in that case the
> dialog should be shifted/resized to compensate.

Resize is not an option in general, especially for screens with ~768 pixels
height giving you ~700 pixels. If it was, KDialog's size hint would do the job.

Example: I am displaying a print preview as a floating window (non-modal dialog)
that is by default as large as availableGeometry() of course, as user expects
to see
as much details on the preview by default (resizing the height to ~400 pixels
makes
the preview - 9 of 10 users would need to resize the window by hand).

I am talking about default kicker-on-bottom settings. See the attached
first.gif mockup.
Perhaps a variation of the idea could be even better: do the centering using
screenGeometry() horizontally and using availableGeometry() vertically, see
second.gif. This gives us correct behaviour for kicker-on-the-left/right-hand
setting too.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

  Kexi Developer:      http://www.kexi-project.org | http://koffice.org/kexi
  Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html
  Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
  KDE3, KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                       http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki

["first.gif" (image/gif)]
["second.gif" (image/gif)]