List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Slows starting of downloading with KIO
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-20 9:56:01

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 10:44, nf2 wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
>

> > > Stupid question: does a recursive listing require stating in KIO?
> > >

> > Yes and no (the question doesn't make sense from a KIO point of view :)
> > Listing calls listDir(), stating calls stat(), so technically listing is not \
> > stating. However in practice for FTP, stating means listing and extracting one \
> > line from it, so both operations are similar, except listing is done in one go, \
> > and stating is done for every url so it's slower.
> >

> Does that mean that kio-ftp has to list the whole directory for every
> stat call?

Not really. It used to be that way, but I improved that long ago.

Let's see how it is now... Ah, yes:
First we try to CWD there, to know if it's a dir or a file.
If it's a directory, then we're done.
If it's a file, then we use "LIST filename" to stat it (to get the size, ownership, \
whether it's a symlink etc.).