List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KAction port: do we need to support multiple shortcuts per action?
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2005-11-29 17:05:03

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 17:44, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Think of things like 'ctrl-=' and 'ctrl-+' being used to allow a logical
> key for font-enlargement but do not force the user to use shift.

That's a different bug, but yes, it's a bug. We wanted to fix it for a long
time, but never got around doing it (it's on the project plans again).

The trouble is that there really are two kinds of shortcuts: one kind is the
symbol you want to generate, the other kind is the key with the symbol. The
latter doesn't always work, but in most cases it is what the users (and the
programmer) expects.

"Shift-+" as a shortcut really should mean "the shift key is pressed down, and
the key with the + symbol on it". The fact that you sometimes need shift to
generate the + symbol shouldn't matter.

Solving this on X doesn't exactly trivial, from a key press to a key event we
have numerous levels of abstraction. I'm sure it can be solved somehow, but I
haven't looked into it yet.

 Matthias