List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: non-technical problem [Re: Qt->glib main event loop patch (common
From:       nf2 <nf2 () scheinwelt ! at>
Date:       2005-11-16 14:31:22

Matthias Ettrich wrote:

>There's a bigger problem, and it's not technical. Glib is LGPL, which means we
>can't make Qt/X11 depend on it :-/  I can support it as a compile time
>option, but not as default. This kind of defeats the purpose of bringing us
>closer to a more integrated free desktop on GNU/Linux.

That's interesting. I thought LGPL (in contradiction to GPL) permits any
kind of license for software "using" a LGPLed library - even commercial
closed source licenses.

I think a compile time option would suffice (like the -glibmainloop
./configure switch in my Qt-3.3 patch). KDE requires a certain
configuration of Qt anyway...

>A little fd.o event loop library written in C would be perfect (and a patched
>Glib that uses it).  It can be modelled closely after the Glib event loop
>model, like D-Bus was modelled after the DCOP model. Maybe it's also possible
>to extract the code from Glib and relicense it (depends on who owns the
>copyright)? Anyone up to the challenge?

Perhaps this issue should be discussed with the people on the gtk-list.

norbert