List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: New i18n interface for KDE 4
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-09-12 16:55:43

> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> But we have here a new key class of KDE, not one that you can skip
> easily. So if the compiler fails, it means that you cannot port KDE
> to that compiler (and I am not meaning MS Windows in that case.)

No, no, I meant the following: using a configure check, we determine if on
a particular platform compiler allows to overload operator new(); if it
doesn't, we simply don't overload new(), and KDE compiles normally.

This means that on such a platform, one could write code which allocates
KI18n's dynamically. But I think that is not a problem because: 1) chances
for someone both developing KDE code on such a platform and using dynamic
allocation of KI18n's is small, and 2) if it does happen, as soon as the
code moves to a normal platform it won't compile, so it is the author of
that code who has a portability problem due to his broken compiler.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)