List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Malaga Discussions III
From:       Benjamin Meyer <icefox () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-02 9:49:25

There has been a lot of talk.  Here are a few points:

With more and more companies adopting Qt having a set of tools from
KDE that only require Qt gives them a way to try out KDE's technology
and hopefully then utilize our entire framework.  This will give us
more testers, contributors etc.  The best example is a lot of the KDE
widgets that you find in designer and a bunch of small helper classes
in kdecore.

From a more fundimental level there is a heck of a lot of
interdependencies in kdelibs that aren't needed at the moment.  The
thicker the graph the harder it is to debug.  A lot of us wish to
implement unit tests.  Reducing the number of unnecessary dependencies
will make this job easier.  This also makes giving maintainership over
to new developers a lot more easier.  There has been a lot of talk
about maintainers here at akademy also.  Right now there seems to be
only a few people who really understand and maintain kdelibs.

The concensus at the end of the meeting was not that we definettly
were going to do this fyi, but to at least give it a shot and see how
far we could get.

Hopfully I covered the main points, anyone else feel free to point out
anything I missed.

-Benjamin Meyer