On Wednesday 31 August 2005 15:37, Harri Porten wrote: > > The other aspect was much more controversial as it related to kdelibs. > > The idea presented was to split kdelibs into the parts that only rely on > > Qt each (most widgets, some of our kdecore parts) and those parts that > > are either grouped together to make up KDE's framework and the parts that > > rely on that KDE framework. > > I don't see the point here. Philosphically. I don't see where to draw the > logical boundary. "KDE libraries use Qt" is what describes our situation. > That means that every KDE library is part of KDE and depends on "itself", > ie. KDE. Whether library B (i.e. kdeui) also relies on library A (i.e. > kdecore) doesn't really matter. A is just another lib that would have to > be shipped with B as is Qt. The important part is just to make sure that > core parts are designed and implemented in a portable part to allow for a > portable base that high level libs can rely on. The idea is to draw the line on class level, not on library level. And there I don't see it as a too difficult to to decide on whether a class is part of the framework or just a standalone tool class with no horizontal dependencies. Simon