List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: copyright issues in kdebase/nsplugins
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-04 9:42:08

On Thursday 04 August 2005 00:42, Zack Cerza wrote:
> So, I'm crossposting this to kde-licensing and k-c-d, because it clearly
> belongs in the former, but I'm afraid nobody will see it there, just
> judging by its archives. If that's inappropriate, I'm sorry. :)
>
> While trying to sort out some copyright issues in kaffeine-mozilla [0], it
> was noted that some of the same issues exist in kdebase/nsplugins. The
> summary:
>
> zack@gaz nsplugins =) % grep -ir 'all rights reserved' * | grep -v
> '/\.svn/' sdk/jni.h: * Copyright (c) 1993-1996 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All
> Rights Reserved.

That's just boilerplate. If you look a few lines done you will notice (at
least in some cases) a license, that's the interesting part. What strikes me
is that the sdk/README says that it is part of the Netscape SDK but that
there is no license info related to that SDK and that the Sun file says "for
NON-COMMERCIAL purposes"

Cheers,
Waldo