List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kmix -> kdebase
From:       Christian Esken <esken () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-07-01 20:12:02

Am Dienstag, 21. Juni 2005 14:13 schrieb Stephan Binner:
> Hello,
>
> in my opinion kmix belongs as central desktop functionality into kdebase. Its
> maintainer is "slightly pro" about this move. Any other opinion to kick this
> discussion of about the 'if' and if yes with which release (3.5 or 4.0)? :-)

Hello,

as maintainer of KMix I'd like to speak up now - I couldn't do it earlier, as I was \
extremely busy. But OTOH this gives me a nice chance for a summary. :-) First, a big \
"Thank you" to Stephan for the proposal.

Four major points have been touched, and I'd like to comment them in this one mail \
instead of replying individually:

1) Version discussion: I agree to Aaaron - it should be done in KDE4, not 3.5. \
Package structure changing should IMO only be done on major releases (if there is no \
urgent need for that). But here the package maintainer(s) should raise their voices, \
because they have most experience here.

2) KMix Applet vs Systray Icon: As argumented in this thread (e.g. Boudewijn Rempt, \
Nathan Olberding), many users (Mac, Gnome, Win) expect an mixer icon in a \
well-defined place. This means for us the Systray. Thus I don't think it would be \
wise to change this.

3) Applet Size:
> > Besides, kmixapplet here actually takes about as much space as a systray icon, \
> > and it shows two channels, which is two more than the systray icon.
> yeah, if you kill the other 2^N channels =)

This used to be different in former versions. KMix did only show "useful" controls. \
With ALSA the situation did get extremely complicated, as it heavily depends on the \
Soundcard, which Controls are "useful". The situation is regrettable, but will change \
to be better with KMix 3 / KDE4. KMix will then support soundcards profiles, which \
can also define which Controls are "useful".

4) Direct feedback: Thers is already a wish about direct feedback in the Systray \
icon. Either with 0-3 "waves" in front of the speaker or as a small "bar".

All in all I am very pleased about the positive response. I didn't expect this after \
Stephan Binners proposal. If there is no technical difficulty (maintaining Multimedia \
configure checks in kdebase *and* kdemultimedia), I do also agree to a move (in \
KDE4).

I have one additional argument, why putting KMix in kdebase could be a good idea: \
Several applications like KMilo or KAlarm use KMix via DCOP. So there is a dependency \
from those apps to kdemultimedia. I am planning a Mixer Service for KDE4, which is \
indepenent from any KMix GUI.

  Christian

--
Is UNIX ready for the Desktop? See http://www.kde.org