List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] One ioslave to rule them all...
From:       Kévin_Ottens <ervin () ipsquad ! net>
Date:       2005-06-26 18:00:53

Le Dimanche 26 Juin 2005 19:53, Ingo Klöcker a écrit :
> Hmm, good point. Though that doesn't make it more intuitive. The user
> will have to try the Up button to see what happens. But why should he
> try it in the first place? There's no way he could guess what it does.
> And if he wants to go from home:/ to system:/ then where should he get
> the idea from that he has to click on the Up button?

Well, I ended up exactly because of the contrary.

In the devices:/ age, I've seen lot of users clicking on a device
devices:/foo, then jumping somewhere in the unix filesystem file:/mnt/foo.
Then they were doing what they had to do in the device. Finally they pressed
up to go back to the device list... and then finished in file:/mnt which was
obviously wrong and resulted in manipulation errors : "why is file:/mnt/foo2
empty???" etc.

I expect exactly the same thing, if the user starts with system:/ he'll see
that home:/ is a child and expect up to bring him back to system:/. Of course
if you start at home:/ directly you don't know that system:/ is parent
(except if you press up, or use up popup menu).

> Apart from that I'm wondering whether those special URLs will be
> i18n'ed. If not then what good are those special URLs for people who
> don't speak English?

Hmm, good point... Would make all this things even more complicated though. =)
On the other hand, no one complained about the fact that "file:" is not
translated, even if now it's hidden... ;-)

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."