List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] One ioslave to rule them all...
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-26 15:43:26

On Sunday 26 June 2005 15:42, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Kévin Ottens wrote:
> >Le Dimanche 26 Juin 2005 13:29, Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
> >> For me it seems like fixing a small thing like "users not having to
> >> see the unix filesystem" to break a big thing like "non-kde programs
> >> won't work".
> >>
> >> So for me if the problem with non-kde programs can not be fixed is a
> >> no-go.
> >
> >Well, currently it works for non-KDE application, if you open a file.
> > It's still tricky for drag-n-drop though.
>
> Can't Konqueror and kfile simply automatically return the mostLocalURL for
> any URL that has it, for every application? The result would be that any
> application would receive the file name, not a URL that should point to
> it.

We could provide resolved url(s) using the standard way (text/uri-list)
and the kde-specific url(s) in addition, using another mimetype.
Then the receiver can pick kde protocols if it's a kde app, otherwise the standard text/uri-list.
Quite easy, except that KURLDrag can't call mostLocalURL itself, so it needs
a new API for setting the list of resolved URLs.