Thiago Macieira said: > And I think we can do better. Sure we can ;-). I just don't see a real need for it. But if it's reasonably easy to do, why not? :) >>> Just add the "4" to the name, if the layout of those files is not >>> compatible with the KDE3 apps. >> >>For clarity, the name of the containing folder or the actual filename? > > I don't think /etc4 exists, so /etc/kde4rc :-) You misunderstood me (or I misunderstood you :) ) I was referring to /etc/kde-user-profile/martijn/share/config/kmailrc4 vs /etc/kde-user-profile/kde4-martijn/share/config/kmailrc vs /etc/kde-user-profile-4/martijn/share/config/kmailrc vs something else even. Here there are options to both suffix the files and the dirs. > In fact, I think we should read both files, as well as both environment > variables. The "4" version should override, if found, similarly to what > XFree86 did to XF86Config vs XF86Config-4. I much rather see a one-time conversion triggered by e.g. kconf_update or so, because the additional stat calls for nonexisting files are a performance burden. If there's no strong technical need (which i'm not sure yet, but hope not), I wouldn't add stuff like this that affects *every* KDE 4 app (we're talking kdeglobals, of all files). -- Martijn