List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Moving 3.5 development into branches/KDE/3.5
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-30 21:29:42

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 10:51:07PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Montag 30 Mai 2005 21:43 schrieb Martijn Klingens:
> > On Monday 30 May 2005 21:21, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > > This is a change of policy and was the initial goal. The kde4 work branch
> > > was just temporary. The main difference to the current situation is:
> > >
> > > * KDE4 is the main target, KDE 3.5 development is defined as backport
> >
> > This collides for the roadmap of KDEPIM that we decided on last weekend
> > during the KDEPIM development meeting. KDE 3.5 will be the main target
> > until early august for PIM and basically nobody will be working on KDE 4
> > yet. We simply lack the manpower to work on two targets, so KDE 4 will have
> > to wait.
> I'm fine with kdepim developers working on KDE 3.5, but not in trunk and every
> 3.5 commit has to be merged in trunk. I hope it's possible in one way or the
> other.

That sounds a bit short-sighted as feature commits (which IIRC 3.5 is meant
to be for) being forward ported to trunk is going to be pretty hard to
impossible on either a non-ported (and thus non-usable) or a ported (and thus
heavily changed) trunk...

I fear the effect is going to be that nobody is going to work on 3.5 for
anything big; which means you'r never going to see enough features for a
release.

I suggest to make kdepim trunk read-only after friday and only start allowing
commits there when the suggested features have been finished (estimated 2-3
months) after which a copy can be made back to trunk.

--
Thomas Zander