List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Moving 3.5 development into branches/KDE/3.5
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-31 6:20:42

On Monday 30 May 2005 23:24, Matt Rogers wrote:
> The biggest problem being that KDE 3.5 then becomes seen as more of a
> red-headed step child when it could possibly be the most important KDE
> release (since it will have the longest lifetime) until KDE 4 comes out.
Take it as it is, but KDE 3.5 _is_ a step child and we can continue this
"we need a KDE 3.X (where X is larger than the previous released)" discussion
for years now. It just won't help us. We started with KDE 4 development -
given fact. This means KDE 3.5 sees less development than any other KDE3
release - given fact. Now we have to make sure to find the balance between
a) getting KDE 3.5 out at all and b) getting KDE 4 out in an overseeable
future.

I posted this as request for comments because I knew it is pretty
controversial, but past showed me that people don't jump on such suggestions
when they are two months away[1]. I'm very happy that we have a fruitful
discussion going on now and I'm sure we will find a compromise that works
for all of us.

Greetings, Stephan
[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=110839367905112&w=2

Hasiti Lapé Hetep Malu Mир Wolakota Santiphap Irini Peoch
Shanti Vrede Baris Rój Mír Taika Rongo Sulh Py'guapy 평화